In a notice Friday the 12th, the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs stated that technical issues prevented the agency from issuing visas and passports at its overseas postings. According to state officials this is not a cyber security related issue and that they, “Are working as quickly as possible to pinpoint the root cause of our technical issues”. According to a statement made by State Department spokeswomen Julia Straker, “We are working urgently to correct the problem and expect the system to be fully operational again soon”.
The information below was found on the State Department’s Website:
Passport/Visa Systems Errors
- The Bureau of Consular Affairs is currently experiencing technical problems with our overseas passport and visa systems.
- This issue is not specific to any particular country, citizenship document, or visa category.
- The Consular Consolidated Database (CCD) problems we are experiencing are not the same challenges we overcame last summer. We are working urgently to correct the problems and restore our system to full operational status as soon as possible.
- We apologize to applicants who are experiencing delays or are unable to obtain a passport overseas, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or U.S. visa at this time. Domestic passport issuances are not affected at this time. We are able to issue emergency passports to U.S. citizens overseas for urgent travel.
- We are seeking to assist non-immigrant visa applicants with urgent humanitarian travel. Travelers with an urgent humanitarian need for travel should contact their nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.
- We are aware of pending overseas adoption cases, including in China. We are prioritizing these cases and seek to issue these visas with few delays.
- We regret the inconvenience to travelers, and remain committed to facilitating legitimate travel while protecting our borders. We are working urgently to correct the problem and expect our system to be fully operational again soon.
- We will post updates to Travel.State.Gov as more information becomes available.